Sunday 21 March 2010

Emma, First Knight, Funny Games

This couple of weeks has been very much a re-watch week, but you'll be pleased to hear that the last film in this post is one that makes me ridiculously excited.

#1 - EMMA

Stars - Gwyneth Paltrow, Ewan McGregor, Jeremy ~Northam
Director - Douglas McGrath
Memorable Quote - 'Mr. Knightley, if I have not spoken, it is because I am afraid I will awaken myself from this dream.'
Review - The first of the re-watches then, and this is a lovely little piece of Austen. Period dramas are always a favourite with me and this ranks highly, certainly the best version of this particular story. Added bonus of Ewan McGregor, although I do sometimes find Paltrow a little irritating at points. 4/5

#2 - FIRST KNIGHT

Stars - Sean Connery, Richard Gere, Julia Ormond
Director - Jerry Zucker
Memorable Quote - 'This is called an oubliette. That's French for a place of forgetting.'
Review - Second re-watch, although I'd actually forgotten that I'd seen it before until I realised I knew exactly what was about to happen in the next scene. Well, it's sort of cute I suppose, but of course Sean Connery is waaaaay too old to be Arthur at this stage of the story, and I don't blame her for going for Lancelot. Not a bad effort but could of course have been improved by a removing of some cheese. 2.5/5

#3 - FUNNY GAMES

Stars - Naomi Watts, Tim Roth, Michael Pitt, Brady Corbet
Director - Michael Haneke
Memorable Quote -
Review - THIS IS AN AMAZING MOVIE. I am so excited by this movie that I might explode before finishing this review. It is SO uncomfortable at times, and the direction is absolutely fantastic - this is a film about film, and every single little detail is controlled to give a certain feeling. It starts off all normal, a little disturbing with the music, but normal - and quickly descends into an unforgettable night of terror. The script, also, is amazing, not to mention the acting - Michael Pitt shines as the terrifying antagonist, and Naomi Watts shows off some of that wonderful female thriller lead practice she's had. This is extremely worth watching if you're a horror fan, a fan of psychological thrillers, or a fan of film in general, and worth a look-in even if you're none of the above. Good grief, I love this movie. Here are some more super-creepy pictures as a little sample of the action. 6/5

No comments: