Monday 28 September 2009

The Boat that Rocked

This movie review will be my last home-watched DVD review for quite some time! You see, I have now settled in to my flat at the University of Hertfordshire, where I will be residing for the next nine months. Provided it doesn't burn down; we've had three real fire alarms already, and I only got here on Saturday.

Anyway, down to business: I saw what was in fact a very funny film, and since I have one more DVD waiting on my shelf, I suppose I'd better get this review out of the way pretty sharpish!


Title: The Boat That Rocked

Director: Richard Curtis

Stars: Bill Nighy, Kenneth Branagh, Rhys Ifans, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Nick Frost, Tom Sturrudge, Gemma Arterton, Jack Davenport





Review: This movie is a comedy, make no bones about it. It fits into no other genre, not even that of a romcom or a sitcom; it is just pure comedy. And it succeeds in being very funny. Great dialogue and strong characters, as well as well set-up gags, keep it a laugh from beginning to end, with even the grim humour of the more serious moments. Arguably the best performance came from Kenneth Branagh's straight-laced government official, while the best running gag was that of Midnight Mark's silence.

I can only recommend this film. Though there is not much to say in terms of filming technique, the soundtrack is highly appropriate and gels well, as do the costumes and the way the boat is fitted out. The film is, so far as I can see, flawless. I give t a nine out of ten for it's genre.

No comments: