Monday 18 January 2010

Magnificent Seven x2, Over the Hedge

At last we come to the last entry of the festive catch-up! Although, it has to be said that I've managed to watch three more films whilst posting these - but oh well! That's what the life of a film reviewer is like, you know - constant film-watching. Anyway, moving ahead with the actual reviews...

#1 - THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

Stars - Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson
Director - John Sturges
Memorable Quote - 'We deal in lead, friend.'
Review - What a great movie. I can't even stress it enough, this stands out as a great Western and a great movie outside of the genre. What more could you want than Yul Brynner in that black hat, rounding up his cowboy pals to do the right thing for once. My favourite of the Seven, other than Chris himself, was Britt (standing at the far right of the image). 5/5


#2 - RETURN OF THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

Stars - Yul Brynner, Robert Fuller, Julian Mateos
Director - Burt Kennedy
Memorable Quote - 'Hell, I haven't been going anywhere for ten years... and neither have you.'
Review - A worthy sequel, and despite the lack of McQueen this delivers what it promises. Chico and Manuel are endearing, Colbie is funny, and the rest of the guys all seem to have a few skeletons in their closets, rounding up a great cast with a perfect Western storyline. Also 5/5.


#3 - OVER THE HEDGE

Stars - Bruce Willis, Avril Lavigne, Omid Djalili
Director - Tim Johnson, Karey Kirkpatrick
Memorable Quote - 'I thought we'd be dead by step two, so this is going great.'
Review - Not really so great - I mean, as far as light entertainment goes Omid Djalili's character was great, but something tells me I've just got a little bit too old for this sort of movie. And considering that I enjoy stuff like Shrek and Ice Age, it really makes me wonder how young you have to be. 2/5.

No comments: