Friday 15 January 2010

Paranormal Activity, Drag Me To Hell, Star Trek

Alright, getting right ahead with the second set of post-festive blogs, here are three more little snippets for your viewing pleasure.

#1 - PARANORMAL ACTIVITY



Stars - Katie Featherstone, Micah Sloat
Director - Oren Peli
Memorable Quote - 'You're NOT in control. IT is in control, and if you think you're in control, then you're being an idiot! Not a single thing you've done has helped, and I'm sorry, I don't mean to burst your bubble, but the camera hasn't helped and the stupid footprints haven't helped; do you think that thing would have left footprints if it didn't want to? No! It did it because it WANTED to! It WANTED you to find my photo, it can be anywhere, it can hear what we're saying right now...'
Review - Not gonna lie, this movie REALLY FREAKED ME OUT. A lot of people have said it isn't realistic or scary and so on, but if you stop being all haughty about and just for a few hours let yourself believe that demons might exist - then this is an awesome movie. Know why? Because it's genuine. It was shot in the director's house, the actors use their real names during the movie, and it was filmed by the male actor. And - the one rule of creating a truly scary movie - you never see the demon. In my eyes, as part of the horror genre, this gets a great big 5/5.

#2 - DRAG ME TO HELL


Stars - Justin Long, Justin Long, Justin Long
Director - Sam Raimi
Memorable Quote - 'I beat you, you old bitch!'
Review - This movie was ridiculously disappointing. Honestly, from the trailers I was looking forward to it A LOT. And what do I get for my troubles? Very hard to believe storyline, a dumb protagonist, and the most obvious twist in the entire world. It was just so BAD. I'm giving it a 2/5, and it gets one point for starring Justin Long, who I happen to find quite attractive. Just to make it worthwhile even posting about this movie, here's some more Justin Long:


#3 - STAR TREK

Stars - Zachary 'Awesome' Quinto, Chris Pine, Leonard Nimoy, Eric Bana, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin!!, Winona Ryder... Christ...
Director - JJ Abrams
Memorable Quote - 'Are you out of your Vulcan mind?!''
Review - Alright, I'll say this. I used to hate Star Trek. I just never saw the appeal. I'm fully in the Star Wars camp, and that's where I'm happy! And then... and then JJ Abrams comes along, a man who makes everything he touches amazing, and Zachary Quinto - ZACHARY QUINTO - is Spock. My God, I love this movie. Not only that, but the incredible cast is rounded off by a stunner of a performance by the young Anton Yelchin (who previously dazzled me in Alpha Dog, and will surely be a common sight in Hollywood in years to come). 5/5, for having the power to convert me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The original story for Drag Me to Hell was written ten years before the film went into production and was written by Sam Raimi and his brother Ivan Raimi. I fully enjoy this movie.