Thursday 5 August 2010

Dot The I

Since I'm watching it online, you have the fantastic luxury of seeing my thoughts unfolding as I write this review every time the film starts buffering. Hurray for technology! Warning, though - longer than usual due to the immediacy. That's also why this is a one-film post.

#1 - DOT THE I
















Stars - Gael Garcia Bernal, Natalia Verbeke, James D'Arcy, Tom Hardy, Charlie Cox

Director - Matthew Parkhill

Memorable Quote - Kit: 'Life is not a movie.'
Theo: '... Yes it is.'

Review - Wahey, another Bernal movie! It's about time, it's been months since I last watched one. Anyway, this is what you might call a typical Bernal - very European, quite different to your average Hollywood film, and edging somewhere on the line between cute and creepy. I don't think we need to discuss Bernal's performance - all you have to do is look at my other reviews to know that I think he's wonderful. To the other characters, then - Carmen is believably fiery without seeming too contrived, which is always a good thing, and she always has great disheveled hair and make-up, so props to the people in charge of that. Cox and Hardy provide real stand-out moments of humour that had me actually laughing out loud, and though their parts were smaller they were in danger of stealing the show. The only performance I have less faith in is that of D'Arcy - usually a good bet, but here his love for Carmen felt fake and most of his lines sounded scripted, which an actor should be able to hide. Although there IS a reason for that, I think it could have been more subtly done. Perhaps it was subtle, and I'm just a critic! Anyway, the tiny flashbacks throughout the film were intriguing, and were the most part of the reason for me calling it 'creepy' - something about the noise of that cut just made me think of Saw or some kind of thriller. The little bits of humour were needed to stop it being too heavy, and while the line I've put above is the most memorable, perhaps the best line was 'Double glazing. It's a bitch.' Biggest 'ooh' moment had to be when Barnaby appeared at the window, watching Kit and Carmen, and also I have to say I would have chosen Kit too. But then the biggest 'GASP' moment came with the line, 'I lied to you.' But I have to say, I did guess the second-to-last twist (though not the very final one) about halfway through. It did not, however, tarnish my experience.

And the shooting style, too! All those cut-in anonymous video recordings, as well as the hidden cameras in some of the scenes, almost reminded me of Cache (though it goes without saying that nothing compares to Haneke). I was very impressed with the direction, because at some points the actors really do seem to be playing two different people, and that could not be done unless they were directed to act in that way. The use of the flashbacks as already mentioned was not just creepy, it was clever, since each flashback was matched to a very similar scene elsewhere. The way in which each plot twist was revealed was masterful, and although I have read comments that the twists go too far, I don't personally believe that this is true. One twist is essential to having a plot (the love story element). Two twists make an interesting plot (the secret filming element). Three twists make a fascinating plot (the awards ceremony element). And four twists? Well, four twists simply screws with your head, and I like it that way (the final collaboration element and ending).

Apart from being a fantastic piece of work as a film, it is also very self-reflexive. When Bernal is asked 'Do you want to be a star?', part of you smirks - he IS a star. When they talk about putting the camera on automatic and that real filmmakers don't do that, I certainly had a little chuckle, knowing enough photographers who would say the same thing. They even have their own fictional awards ceremony! Towards the back end of the film it almost begins to drag you in so far you don't know if you're watching a film, or actually a documentary. What's more, it raises important moral concerns that are actually very relevant right now: with the release of Catfish, which claims to be real (and judging by early reviews, probably isn't), and of course with last year's backlash against The Fourth Kind, filmmakers right now need to be watching this movie and asking themselves some moral questions about where they really want to go with their work.

With all that said and done, I think adding anything would give far too much of the plot away to be considered fair. And now I want to watch it all over again to get the bits I missed first time round. Good god, I enjoyed this film. Also, BEST ENDING EVER. 5/5


No comments: